Friday, May 9, 2008

Mother's Day (a real holiday)

I never thought I'd be this excited about my first Mother's Day. I always tried to make it special for my Mom, but kind of thought it was a made up holiday. While in college, my husband told his mother it was a fake Holiday invented by Hallmark and she came very close to killing him. Today, I can safely say I totally understand her.

After seven months of constant learning, taking two steps forward and four steps back and realizing that there is a part of me sleeping in a crib, I think mothers need to be celebrated. I know, mothers should be celebrated everyday. Some even think they should get paid. But I think we deserve that one day in which the world stops to honor us.

Just like many of you, it was my choice to bring my daughter into this world. It was a selfish act. But from the moment she was born, there has been no room for selfishness. I constantly worry about her well being and do all I can to guarantee her happiness. She deserves nothing less.
I've been riddled with doubts for the last seven months. Is she eating too much? Is she sleeping enough? Should I let her cry to sleep? Should I rock her to sleep? Should I give her apples or oranges? Is she happy? Will she hate me at 15?

Today I received an email from my sister in law that made me feel so much better. It basically said there is no such thing as the perfect mother, but that we should all be admired since we do the best we can and we do it all out of love.
I thought I would share it with all the mothers out there. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: